Bug in Hardy Heron  

Scribbled by Pavit Laul

I upgraded my Ubuntu a week back by downloading ~125MB of updates. But, the box shut down while the updates were being installed; so, I had to sudo dpkg --configure -a in the terminal. Well, that was then. Ever since the upgrade to kernel 2.6.24.-19, I get a blank white screen after logging in. I have been working in older kernels ever since and decided to solve the thing today.

I actually thought the problem had to do something with my system crashing during the upgrade, but as it turns out, this is a bug related to upgrading the Ubuntu kernel, upgrading the display driver (only for ATI cards) and compiz. Here's the bug.

At the moment, I can access the latest kernel by logging in through the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) typing killall compiz.real and going back to the GUI (Ctrl+Alt+F7). But, obviously, that disables all the charming effects :(

Waiting for the bug to be exterminated!

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments