Lost and NOT Found  

Scribbled by Pavit Laul

Sunday is 'Swimming Day'.

So it seemed when I went to the DDA Sports Complex pool 3 days before: looked like there was water in a sea of people! In this mayhem of sorts, I decided to go about my business without the goggles on, neatly placed just above my forehead. So, amidst all the backstrokes and floating, I felt light-headed just 10 minutes before the closing time. Yup, you're intelligent enough- no goggles. Now, these were no ordinary piece of equipment. They had been modified courtesy Indian jugaad to suit my myopic needs. So, I informed all the management people I could manage to see (no pun people!). They assured me that they'd search the pool after all the people leave so that the water is steady. Even though I myself headed the search party, we were disappointed.

Next assurance: I was told that I'd get my lost item back when they deploy the sucker machine at noon; just one catch- no one should have taken it. So, I'd have to check back on Tuesday (Monday being off). Tuesday didn't turn out to be any better than Sunday. No goggles. Looks like someone did manage to scamper with it before I'd realized I was missing something. I had already told these guys that the goggles were of no use to any normal-sighted person.

What still baffles me is this: Is the fear of returning a stolen thing more than the fear while stealing it? I'm sure the guy would have realised by now that they're of no use to him. Goggles bhi koi churaane ki cheez hai kya yaar?! Inform me at the earliest if you find someone swimming as if he were hypermetropic and reads 'goggles' here as 'google' :D. So anyway, I'm now without eye protection. My new optical goggles from outside India will be with me soon enough (interestingly, they're not available in India... AFAIK).

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments